Happy Sunday! I got a lot of great feedback on the fish taco post I shared a few weeks back, so I thought I’d share the delicious/easy dinner my mom and I made with spaghetti squash a couple nights ago. I used to think I hated spaghetti squash… for some reason the word ‘squash’ is just not appealing. Not too long ago I learned how to cook it and what ingredients to add, and now I LOVE it! Such a lighter, healthier alternative to pasta. So, if you’re a little hesitant like I was, you should try something like this out! You might be surprised by how much you like it.
As I said with the fish tacos, we don’t tend to measure things when we cook, so this recipe won’t be too exact. However, I will share the basic steps we took and then I’ll link similar recipes below!
Here are the ingredients we used:
- Medium sized spaghetti squash (feeds about 3 people)
- Chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Red chili pepper flakes
- Minced garlic
- Fresh basil & oregano
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Hot & sweet cherry peppers
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
Other ingredients you could use:
- Different types of cheese: feta, goat cheese, etc.
- Kalamata olives
- Pine nuts
When it comes to the ingredients, pick what YOU like! The only thing I would say is to be careful when using tomato/red sauce with spaghetti squash. Something about that combination can sometimes lead to an uneasy stomach. I like to keep mine simple with olive oil!
- To cook the spaghetti squash, heat the oven to 350 F. Cut the squash in half and put the halves face down in a glass baking dish. Bake for about 40 minutes. I like it best when the squash is still a little crunchy, so I don’t put it in for as long.
- While the squash is continuing to bake or cooling down, cook your chicken on the stove-top or grill (we lightly seasoned ours with garlic powder, salt, and pepper) and then slice into thin strips.
- Slice anything you need to – pepper, onions, etc. – then sauté your ingredients in a pan with olive oil (leave out the squash and ingredients like avocado, cheese, and herbs – you don’t want them to get too brown!).
- Using a fork, scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash into the mixture of ingredients in the pan. Add the chicken. Mix well.
- Right before you eat, stir in the cheese, herbs, and avocado if you have it.
Thanks so much for reading! Have a great rest of your week!
For more exclusive content with thoughts and inspiration regarding living mindfully through fashion, new experiences, health & fitness, creativity, travel, and more, SUBSCRIBE! All social media = autumnsorelle. Thank you!